4.26.2005

My ongoing battle between coffee and tea.

I want to say it's a matter of preference. Some mornings it's coffee, some mornings it's tea, all mornings it's any kind of caffeinated beverage I can get my hands on, preferably at room temperature (I have a sensitive tongue). I used to drink two cups of coffee every morning. LIGHT and SWEET. Now when I say "sweet" I don't mean your usual 2 second pour of half and half and three scoops of sugar, nonono. The usual 16oz cup consisted of 1 part coffee:1 part half and half:2 parts sugar. I think back on that now and I think either, yum, dessert for breakfast-or-gross, candy for breakfast. Regardless I would crash by around 10am, and whine the rest of my day away until I could break for a nap.
Needless to say, I feel like caffeine is controlling my life. Come the weekend, if I don't get my lazy ass out of bed, into the kitchen, and put on a pot of coffee (even if I know I'll only be patient enough to gulp down half a cup), I'll be almost immediately crippled with a caffeine withdrawal headache. Crippled to the point of not being able to think, open my eyes, or function whatsoever. It's got a hold on me.
So what have I done to correct this horrible dependency that I've developed? Well, first off, about 4 months ago, I switched to drinking my coffee black. I figured, lose the sugar, lose the high and low. I've never really been into half and half, and normally any type of creamy substance makes me feel nothing short of icky. Whether it was a placebo affect, or my body really reacting, I did start feeling more awake and all together healthy.
Then, about 2 months ago, I discovered Irish Creme Creamer. On the mornings that I wasn't running late to work (few and far between) I would stop at 7-11 and get a 16ozer with enough Creamer to negate the whole "not adding sugar" factor. Ugh. But I think I've also gotten that under control now.
Recently I've started to drink tea. I don't know about anyone else, but I find that tea is just fine plain, with no added sweetener or milk. I also feel 20 times better knowing that it has less caffeine than coffee. And, oh, the variety!! My taste buds are amazed by the abundance of flavored tea there is amongst us. My favorites tend to be Green(duh), Earl Gray, Dejarling, and good old plain Lipton. I'm currently drinking: Lipton 100% Natural Tea with "150mg Protective Antioxidants." That makes me feel good.
I'm excited about my anticipated adventures in tea land. I think this could be the start of something good, fresh, and um...healthy(ier).
If anyone knows some good tea varieties, let me know!