4.18.2005

Foreign TA's

I've had many experiences similar to those in this article. I want to say that I would have gotten better than a "C" in Oceanography if I could have understood my Iranian TA, who basically taught the entire class. She definitely knew what she was talking about, but we didn't know what she was talking about because of her heavy accent and muffled English. I also might have come out of Stony Brook with that Math degree if I wasn't so discouraged by my Foreign Professors' inability to be articulate (or my inability to understand their English, therefore never fully understanding the lectures, therefore never doing well on the exams, therefore getting "C's" in my major). In many of these classes it was up to me and my text book to figure it all out. It makes you wonder why you're paying for an education, when you just wind up teaching yourself. It's all very unfortunate.